Sunday, September 19, 2004

Pla-bonga!

This has nothing to do with the farm. In taking a break I bumbled into an interview in January magazine for the book Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates ran into this quote from TR that soooooooo describes part of my outlook on life. First, TR says something cynical and the interviewer says, ‘oh, that’s cynical isn’t it?’ and dear Tom says:

“Cheerfully cynical. My view of the world is not that different from Kafka's, really. The difference is that Kafka let it make him miserable and I refuse. Life is too short. My personal motto has always been: Joy in spite of everything. Not just [mindless] joy, but joy in spite of everything. Recognizing the inequities and the suffering and the corruption and all that but refusing to let it rain on my parade. And I advocate this to other people.”

It might be pertinent to know that Tom Robbins is my favorite author of all time. During a troubled time in my life a couple of his books were biblical for me, guides, buoys, CPR. When I mow ragwort it always smells so good that I think maybe it will be my beet pollen in my own version of Kudra’s perfume. And that his latest has the most wonderful tripple quote, always appropriate it seems:

“It is what it is.”

“You are what you it”

“There are no mistakes.”

Pla-bonga!

No comments: